Udaipur, the capital of the former princely state of Mewar is a beautiful city in Rajasthan, India. Udaipur is also referred to as the “Venice of the East”, the “Most Romantic City of India” and the “Kashmir of Rajasthan”. Udaipur the “City of Lakes” is one among the most romantic and most beautiful cities of India. The city of Dawn, Udaipur is a lovely land around the azure water lakes, hemmed in by the lush hills of the Aravalis. A vision in white drenched in romance and beauty, Udaipur city of Rajasthan state is a fascinating blend of sights, sounds and experiences – an inspiration for the imagination of the poets, painters and writers. Udaipur’s kaleidoscope of fairy-tale palaces, lakes, temples, gardens and narrow lanes strewn with stalls, carry the flavor of heroic past, epitomizing valor and chivalry. Their reflection in the placid waters of the Lake Pichhola is an enticing sight. Udaipur is a popular tourist destination in India. The lakes, palaces and lively workspaces and culture attract foreign and domestic visitors. It is a favourite marriage destination. Udaipur have three interconnected lakes – the Fateh Sagar Lake, the Lake Pichhola and the smaller Swaroop Sagar Lake; along with forts, palaces, temples, gardens, mountains and narrow lanes lines withdrawn with stalls, relives the reminisces of a heroic past, valor and chivalry.
Category : Heritage
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 294
Info Website: udaipur.nic.in
Best Time to Visit: Sept – Mar
Udaipur is the jewel of Mewar – a kingdom ruled by the Sisodia dynasty for 1200 years. The foundation of the city has an interesting legend associated with it. According to it, Maharana Udai Singh, the founder, was hunting one day when he met a holy man meditating on a hill overlooking the Lake Pichhola. This city of Dawn, Udaipur is a lovely land around the azure water lakes, hemmedBagore Ki Haveli, Udaipur in by the lush hills of the Aravalis drenched in romance and beauty. Udaipur is a fascinating blend of sights, sounds and experiences – an inspiration for the imagination of the poets, painters and writers. Its kaleidoscope of fairy-tale palaces, lakes, temples, gardens and narrow lanes strewn with stalls, carry the flavour of heroic past, epitomising valour and chivalry.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : Maharana Pratap Airport Udaipur is located at Dabok, 22 km away from the heart of Udaipur city. Many domestic airlines connect the city to most of the major cities in India including Kolkata, Jaipur, Delhi and Mumbai. Regular flight services are available from Udaipur to Delhi and Mumbai. Taxi services are offered at a rate of Rs 400 from airport to Udaipur city. Maharana Pratap Airport Udaipur : 0294 265 5950.
By Train : Udaipur Railway Station is located at a comfortable distance from the city of Udaipur. Rajasthan Railways connects Udaipur station with all the other cities of Rajasthan as well as India. There are frequent trains which run to and from Udaipur connecting Jaipur, Mumbai and Delhi. One can also travel to this beautiful city by the luxurious Palace on Wheels. Udaipur Railway Station :2483979.
By BUS : Rajasthan Roadways operates public bus services between Udaipur and other major cities in Rajasthan. Volvo super deluxe buses are available from Delhi, Jaipur and Ahmedabad to Udaipur. The bus charge is about Rs 4 per km.
By Taxi : Udaipur is well connected by a road network and national highways. The tourist can reach to Udaipur by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Devi Vilas Guest House ; 18, Panduwari, Near Gangaur Ghat, Nearest Landmark -Bagore ki haveli, Udaipur, Udaipur . ; Ph – 099 83 223360 ; Facilities – Travel Desk ,Laundry ,Body Treatments ,Laundry/Valet Services ,Massage Services ,Doctor on call.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Govindam Palace ; 949, Asind Ki Haveli, Jagdish ChowkCity Palace Rd. Near Jagdish Temple, Udaipur 313001. ; Ph – 099 50 302009 ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk ,24-hour room service ,Laundry ,Parking ,Beauty salon ,24-Hour Security ,Banquet facilities ,Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Devendra Garh Palace ; 88, Rani Road, Fateh Sagar, Udaipur 313001. ; Ph – N.A. ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk ,24-hour room service ,Laundry ,Parking ,Beauty salon ,24-Hour Security ,Banquet facilities ,Doctor on call.
- Green Chilly Restaurent ; Gulab bagh Road Near Hotel Moti Mahal,Udaipur.; M – 0294 510 0295 ; Food Serve : multi Cuisine.
- Lal Bagh Restaurant ; 65- Sardarpura, Near Daulat Chambers, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001. ; M – 0294 241 4816 ; Food Serve : multi Cuisine.
- 1559 AD Restaurant Bistro-Lounge ; P.P.Singhal Marg,Near Fateh Sagar,Udaipur,Rajasthan 313001. ; M – 0294 243 3559 ; Food Serve : multi Cuisine.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Horseback riding , Camel Riding, Elephant ride. ; Boheda Haveli, Near Lake Palace Road,Udaipur(Raj.) INDIA. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – 10.00Am ; Closed Time : 7.00Pm.
- Bandhini textiles, handicrafts. ; Mangalam ; Sukhadia Circle, Udaipur. ; Ph/M: 0294/256-0259.
- Pichhwai paintings. ; City Palace Museum Shop ; City Palace, Udaipur. ; Ph/M: N.A.
- Jootis fabrics to puppets and jewellery to footwear. ; Rajasthali ; Chetak Circle Udaipur Rajasthan. ; Ph/M: 91-294-2429068.
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- Pushkar’s Café ; Gadiya Devra, Chandpol Road, Udaipur. ; Ph/M: 91-294-2410501 ; Cost: Rs.1,000 for two ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Picholi Bar ; The City Palace Complex, Udaipur. ; Ph/M: N.A. ; Cost: Rs.900 for two onwards ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Ramada Udaipur ; Rampura Circle, Kodiyat RoadUdaipur ; Ph/M: 0294 305 3800 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : Ayurveda Therapies ,Rejuvenation, Spa Manicure, Spa Pedicure, Sports Massage, Steam Bath.
- Orient Spa Udaipur ; Plot No. 439 – 442, Bhamas Industrial Area,, Ricco, KaladwasUdaipur ; Ph/M: 095 49 656422 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : Body massages, Wrap Rituals and Signature massages,baths include royal Cleopatra Rose and Honey Milk Jacuzzi, Aqua-Aroma Jacuzzi Sensation, Vanilla Honey Pampering Jacuzzi and Classic Steam.
- Relax Spa ; Goverdhan Vilas, Ekling Nagar, Shikarbadi Road National Highway 927A, Sajjan Nagar, Udaipur. ; Ph/M: 0294 248 9888 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : Ayurvedic Therapies, Soul Therapie,Reflexology Therapies,Face Therapies,Hydro Therapies, Signature Rituals.
Shilpgram Fair ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : November/ December ; Details: Literally meaning a “Craftsmen’s Village” is a living ethnographic museum depicting the enormous diversities in craft, art & culture between various Indian states, but the exquisite terracotta work mainly in dark red and dark brown sand material along with the wooden carvings are the forte of this ethnic village .
Mewar Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : March-April ; Details: The Mewar Festival is celebrated to welcome the advent of spring. It coincides with the festival of Gangaur in Udaipur, and has a unique charm about it. The women folk gather to dress the images of Isar and Gangaur and then carry them in a ceremonial procession through different parts of the city.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Udaipur is a major tourist city in India.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100