Sonamarg, literally meaning ‘Meadow of Gold’ is a picturesque town located in Kashmir valley. Bounded by natural beauty, breathtaking glaciers and serene lakes the place is a popular tourist attraction of Jammu & Kashmir. Situated at 87 km from Srinagar, place is renowned for trekking and hiking trails. The major treks passing through various mountain lakes such as Gangabal, Vishansar, Gadsar, Satsar and Kishansar has its base at Sonamarg.Endowed with scenic beauty, the place offers many mind blowing attractions. Nilagrad, a colony of the Baltics, is a picturesque location that one can always visit. Sonamarg is the home of many beautiful and serene lakes. Various mountain lakes such as Gangabal, Vishansar, Gadsar, Satsar and Kishansar are situated in and around Sonamarg. Another scenic eye catching lake in Sonamarg also includes Vishansar. Krishnasar Lake, at a height of 3,801m above sea level, is popular for fishing especially for trout fishing. Sonamarg experiences cool climatic conditions to snow covered chilly periods. Summer days (May to October) are a bit warm and pleasant with an average temperature of around 14°C making it ideal for all pilgrimage. Rain showers any time in the year. During rains, the hilly rugged terrains are slippery making it risky for trekking. Winters (November to April) are chilly with temperature going down to subzero levels. Snow bound landscapes are the typical views in winters.
Category : Trekking
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 194
Info Website: http://jktdc.in/destinations/sonmarg.html
Best Time to Visit: April–November
This is a place that literally means the ‘Meadow of Gold’ and clearly everything here looks as pristine and pure as sheer magic of gold. There is an effect of extreme serenity that makes you want to stay on and soak yourself in the beauty of nature. There is an ambience of exotic natural bounty that spreads across the snow capped mountains to the landscaped greenery of the slopes ? transcending into a sight of divine bliss. There is a vision of completeness here at Sonamarg that you will find breathtakingly beautiful from glaciers and high peaks that surrounds it to the landscapes of green and multi colored flowers all over it there is every form of artistic expression awaiting to be composed in the poet’s language.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : There is no airport in Sonamarg.The nearest airport to Sonamarg is located at Srinagar, at a distance of 70 kms away. Srinagar is air connected to Delhi with regular flights. Taxis are available from airport to Sonamarg for a fare of about Rs 1,000.
By Train : The nearest railway station to Sonmarg is Srinagar railway station and is well connected through various trains. Trains connect Sonmarg to the cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and Chennai.
By BUS : Sonamarg is connected by Jammu and Kashmir state owned road transport corporation buses. Sonamarg is well connected to Jammu (60 km, Rs 30) and Srinagar (70 km, Rs 35) by buses. Special luxurious buses will also be available from Jammu and Srinagar to Sonamarg.
By Taxi : Sonamarg is well connected by a road network and national Highway. The tourist can reach to Sonamarg by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : Auto rickshaws are easily available for moving about in the city.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Ahsan Mount resort ; Sonamarg , Jammu and Kashmir. ; Ph – N.A. ; Facilities – Air conditioning, Laundry, Parking, Doctor on call.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Sonmarg Paradise Camping ; Near Fish Pound , Sonamarg , 191203. ; Ph – 91-941-908-9811 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Laundry,24-Hour Security,Catering Services, Concierge, Wedding Services, Banquet facilities,Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Hotel Snow Land Resorts ; Hotel Snow Land Resorts Mammar, Sonamarg, Kashmir. ; Ph – N.A. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Laundry, Parking.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Rah Villas Hotel ; Rezan Kullan, Kangan, Sonamarg, Jammu and Kashmir 191203 India. ; Ph – N.A. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk,24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Laundry, Parking, Beauty salon, 24-Hour Security, Body Treatments, Catering Services, Game Room, Health Club, Massage Services, Wedding Services, Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
- Tourist Cafeteria ; Sonamarg,Jammu and Kashmir, 191203 India. ; M – N.A. ; Food Serve : Continental and Indian food.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Camping ; Baltal Valley- Just 15Km from Sonamarg, famous for Camping. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- Snow sledge at Thajiwas Glacier ; Thajiwas Glacier- Just 3Km from Sonamarg famous for sledge rides. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- White water rafting and Paragliding ; Murmuring river, just 73 Km’s from Sonamarg. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- Trekking ; Gangabal trek in Sonamarg. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- Fishing ; Krishnasar Lake is located a few kilometers from Sonamarg. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- Wicker-Work and Scatter-Rugs ‘Namdahs’ ; Sonamarg Market ; Sonamarg Market,Sonamarg. ; Ph/M: N.A.
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
Spring Snow Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : March ; Details: In a bid to promote snow sports at the picturesque Sonmarg, the Sonmarg Development Authority is organizing Spring Snow Festival – 2013.The three-day event from March 24 will be held in collaboration with Tourism Department and Adventure Club (International Youth Hostel Sonmarg). During the event activities like Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Ski Touring, Sledging, Snow Boarding, Snow Cycling, Snow Baseball, and Snow Kayaking, besides a cultural program will be held. To mention, the breathtaking tourist spot is currently fully snow clad. There is tremendous scope for winter sports here. Ski touring can be conducted up to late July in Thajiwas Glacier Area.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Sonamarg is a major tourist city in India.
- Beware of fake items. Better to buy from reputable shops even though you have to pay more.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100