Ranthambhore in the state of Rajasthan is endowed with a magnificient environment. A tiny village that derives its name from two hills – Ran and Thambor, Its deciduous forests are rich in flora and fauna that inhabits a wide span of all species. Rathambore is a dream destination for wildlife enthusiasts. Famed for its avid wildlife, Rathambore proffers a picturesque ambiance with rocky smudges, lovely hills, pretty lakes, ponds and beautiful ravines. Its rugged terrain and strategic location in the midst of Vindhya and Aravalli ranges makes it a perfect asylum for those estranged and exotic breeds in the Animal Kingdom. Rathambhore is famous for the Wildlife Sanctuary by the same name where one can witness the juxtaposition of wildlife, history and nature. Dotted with so many structures of the past, Ranthambhore offers the fabulous mixture of a heritage site as well as the magical charm of a rich wild life. The ruins of yesteryears, which are spotted through out the length and breadth of the forests give Rathambhore a unique and invigorating appeal. A pictorial place with extensive range of dazzling landscapes, Rathambhore offers something unusual to its visitors. The mesmerizing ride through the undulating grasslands, gushing streams, open scrubs, densely wooded valleys, deep ravines flanked by steep peaks would definitely provide one with a rejuvenating vigor. Ranthambhore would be the best place to squander if the traveler in you is quite proud of the rich legacy of an ancient township. Its majestic relics like the ruined pavilions, crumbling walls, wells, and other glittering edifices of kingships quench your thirst to be in the midst of a glorious past.
Category : Wildlife
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 7462
Info Website: www.ranthambhor.com
Best Time to Visit: October to April
Ranthambore Fort is located at the top of a rocky outcrop in the middle of the forest, which almost literally marks the meeting of the Aravali and Vindhya hills ranges. A marked difference can be noticed in the terrain in front of and that behind the fort. The fort is huge and covers an area of approximately 7 kilometers in circumference. It is one of the oldest forts in the country and is said to have been built in 944 AD a Chauhan warrior. Due to it’s location and structure, it is considered to have been one of the most difficult forts to overthrow. It repulsed attempts by great warriors such as Alaudin Khilji, Kutub-ud-din, Feroz Tughlaq, Bahadur Shah of Gujarat. The most successful ruler of this fort is known to have been Rao Hammir in the 11th century.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : There is no airport in Ranthambore. Nearest airport to Sanganer Airport located at Jaipur is nearly 157 km from the Ranthambhore city and taxi fare is about Rs 3,500 from Airport to the city. Jaipur airport is connected to metro cities Mumbai and Delhi. Jaipur International Airport in Sanganer : 0141 255 0623.
By Train : Sawai Madhopur, at a distance of nearly 10 km, is the nearest railway station to Ranthambhore. This railhead is on the Broad Gauge line between Mumbai and Delhi and is connected to to cities like Delhi (Aug Kr Raj Exp), Mumbai (Ag Kranti Rjdhn), Kolkata (Ananya Express), Chennai (Jp Madras Expre). Tourist taxi fare from railway station to Ranthambhore is about Rs 200. SAWAI MADHOPUR railway station: 07462-220808.
By BUS : Ranthambhore is connected by regular bus services to other cities in and around. Many public transport buses connecting Ranthamabhore with Jaipur, Pushkar and Ajmer. Private bus services are available from Ranthambhore to Agra (250 km) and Delhi (400 km).
By Taxi : Ranthambore is well connected by a road network and national highways. The tourist can reach to Ranthambore by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Tiger Moon Resort ; Ranthambore National Park, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore. ; Ph – 91 22 3225 7817. ; Facilities – Swimming pool, Wildlife library, Jungle safaris in Jeeps / Canters alongwith professional guides, Nature trails, Camel cart rides.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Ranthambore Reghency ; Ranthambhore Road,Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambhore. ; Ph – 098 29 052535. ; Facilities – Jungle Safaris, Car rental, Shopping arcade, Wildlife slide-shows, Indoor games, Attached bath with hot & cold Water, Television, 24 hour room service.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Ankur Resort Hotel ; “Ranthambore Road, Ranthambore.; Ph – 07462 221 645. ; Facilities – Telephone, TV, Hot & cold water,Swimming poolI, Cyber café, Visa/Master card accept, Convenient parking, Gardens for parties gathering.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Tiger Villa The ; Ranthambhore Road, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambhore. ; Ph – 07462 224 908. ; Facilities – Air-conditioned Rooms, Meeting Rooms and Banquet Facilities, Running hot & cold water, TV, Swimming Pool, 24 hrs. Room Service, laundry/dry cleaning services, Telephone local, STD.
- Wild Dragon Dhaba ; Ranthambhore Road, Ranthambhore. ; M – 095 49 100532 ; Food Serve : Indian.
- Ranthambhore Forest Resort ; Sawai Madhopur,Ranthambhore. ; M – 07462 221 120 ; Food Serve : Indian & Chinese.
- Hotel Riddhi Siddhi Rasturant. ; Ranthambhore Road, nearest FCI Godown, Ranthambhore. ; M – 099 50 905598 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- Ayuskama Ayurveda Wellness Spa ; Ranthambore Road, Sawai-Madhopur, Ranthambore. ; Ph/M – 91-9805928923 / 9602628327. ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Ayurveda Therapies, Rejuvenation, Spa Manicure, Spa Pedicure, Sports Massage.
- Age Veda Spa ; Khem vills, Ranthambore. ; Ph/M – 9549722055 ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Baliness Massage, Bleaching, Body Polish, Body Wrap, Aromatherapy, Ayurvedic Therapy, Fish Therapy, Fruit Therapy.
Ganesh Chaturthi ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : September/October. ; Details: The Ranthambore Tiger Reserve is home to one of the most famous Ganesh temples in the state of Rajasthan. It is a common belief here that all the marriage invitations should be first sent to Lord Ganesh at his temple here. This makes the spot a unique pilgrimage site and invitations pour from all over the country throughout the year, especially during the Ganesh Chaturthi Festival in the months of September/October. During the festival, devotees participate in the singing of devotional songs.
Kaila Devi Fair ; Venue: Kaila Devi or Mahalaxmi temple ; Period : April ; Details: The Kaila Devi Fair is celebrated in the Kaila Devi or Mahalaxmi temple in the village Kaila, situated in the range of Ranthambore National Park. Situated on the river Kailisil, the temple hosts the festival for around 15 days in the Hindu month of Chaitra (April). Approximately 2,00,000 devotees participate in this festival every year.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Ranthambhore is a major tourist city in India.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100
10:00 am – Bakaula ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
1:00 pm – Kachida Valley;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm – Lakarda Anantpura;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm – Raj Bagh Ruins;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
6:00 pm – Padam Talao;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
10:00 am – Ranthambore Fort;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
1:00 pm – Rajabagh Talao;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm – Malik Talao;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm – Dastkar Craft Centre ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
10:00 am – Semli & Berda ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
12:00 pm – Lahpur Valley ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
3:00 pm – Trinetra Ganesh Temple ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm – Surwal Lake ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs