Manali, a mystical hill town of Himachal Pradesh is located near the highway leading to Leh. The city is a haven for skiing and paragliding and also offers various natural trails for trekking. The mythological legends, the snow capped mountains and scenic beauty lures tourists to Manali. Snow can be enjoyed year round at Rohtang Pass providing the perfect setting for families and couples to enjoy the natural vista. While domestic tourists are mostly honeymooners and nature lovers, the town is thronged by international tourists for adventure sports and to hang-out in hippie villages. The climate of Manali remains pleasant mostly through the year. In Winters (October to February) the temperature can dip as low as -7°C – ideal time for skiing and enjoying snowfall. Summers (March to June) is ideal for enjoying paragliding, rafting, zorbing and mountain sports. Temperature ranges from 10°C to 25°C and the climate remains pleasant during the day and cold during the night.
Category : Hill Station
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 1902
Info Website: himachaltourism.gov.in
Best Time to Visit: September to June .
Manali is Just like A Fairy Tale That Is Steeped More In Myth. The Existence Of Manali Can Be Traced Back To The Folklore Of Mahabharata. The Name ‘Manali’ Literally Means The Abode Of Manu. When Manu And Other Gods Were Flooded, They Were Saved By The Seventh Avatar Of Lord Vishnu By Towering High To Dry Lands. Manali Is The Place Where Manu Found Refuge. Back In The 17th Century, Raja Jagat Singh Brought The Idol Of Lord Raghunathji To His Throne And Till Now, He Is The Presiding Deity And King Of Manali.The Colorful Tales And Saga Of The Mythological Existence Of Manali Remain In The Popular Belief And Heart Of The Innocent People Of The Manali Hills.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : There is no airport in Manali. Bhuntar, which is 50 km away from Manali, is the nearest airport. Taxi services are available from Bhuntar to Manali, which costs about Rs 1000. Bhuntar is connected to Delhi by air. Bhuntar airport: 91-1902-265062(O), 91-1902-266325(R).
By Train :Joginder Nagar is the nearest railway station to Manali, which is nearly 50 km away. Joginder Nagar is a narrow gauge railway station, hence connectivity is not so good. Taxi fare from Joginder Nagar to Manali is about Rs 1000.
By BUS : Manali is well connected to other tourist destinations near by in Himachal by private deluxe bus services. State owned services are also available connecting Manali to other cities.
By Taxi : Manali is well connected by a road network and national highways 21. The tourist can reach to Manali by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Apple Green Resort ; Left Bank, Aleo, New Manali, Manali . ; Ph – 91 – 9313857951 ; Facilities – Travel Desk , 24-hour front desk , Laundry , Parking , Doctor on call.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Armaan Holiday Cottage ; Suru, Nagar Road Manali Himachal Pradesh – India, Manali 134109. ; Ph – 91-9805636004, 9816040024 ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk , 24-hour room service , Laundry , Parking , 24-Hour Security , Wedding Services , Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Antriksh Cottage ; Simsa, Chhiyal teh manali, Manali 175131. ; Ph – 8626985266, 9810357426. ; Facilities – Travel Desk , 24-hour room service , Laundry , Parking , Massage Services , Doctor on call.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Club Mahindra Snowpeaks Manali ; Prini Village, Kullu District, Manali 175131. ; Ph – 01902 254 181 ; Facilities – Travel Desk , 24-hour front desk , 24-hour room service , Conference facilities , Elevators , Laundry , Parking ,Disco , 24-Hour Security , Concierge , Game Room , Health Club , Banquet facilities , Doctor on call.
- Cafe 1947 ; Old Manali near Bridge,On way to Manu Temple, Manali 175131, India. ; M – 9418461969 ; Food Serve : Italian, Café.
- Adarsh Restaurant ; Mall Road, Manali 175131, India. ; M – 9418052578 ; Food Serve : Chinese, Indian, Continental.
- Mount View Restaurant ; The Mall, Manali, India. ; M – 253617 ; Food Serve : Chinese, Indian, Tibetan, Continental.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Trekking ; Himalayan Shopping Arcade Shop no 132, Oppsite Nagar Parishad,Manali. ; Cost – N.A. ; Visiting Time – 10.00Am ; Closed Time : 7.00Pm
- Paragliding ; Himalayan Caravan Adventure,The Mall City Centre Manali. ; Cost – 1 minute flying for Rs. 450.5 minute flight for Rs. 1500.Hour flight for Rs. 2500.;Visiting Time – 10.00Am ; Closed Time : 7.00Pm.
- Rock climbing ; Rock Climbing, Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India. ; Cost – FOR TWO HOURS Rs. 450/- per person.FULL DAY Rs. 850/- per person.;Visiting Time – N.A. ; Closed Time : N.A.
- Tibetan handicraft, Buddhist paintings, bamboo souvenirs. ; Tibetan Bazaar ; Near the Mall Road,Manali. ; Ph/M: N.A.
- Fresh fruit jams, jellies and pickles. ; Old Manali market ; about 5 Kms from Manali town. ; Ph/M: N.A.
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- Johnsons Café ; Circuit House Road,, Manali 175131, India ; Ph/M: 9816045123 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : Indian, Italian, Continental.
- Chelsea Club ; Prini, Naggar Highway,Manali ; Ph/M: 01902-251777, 01902-253312, 01902-252563 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- The Buzz ; Log-Huts Area,Manali. ; Ph/M: 91-1902-254187-89 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : N.A.
- Rock Manali & Spa ; National Highway 21, Manali, HP 175131. ; Ph/M – 01902 250 171 ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Kerala Ayurvedic Spa, massages.
- The Piccadily ; The Mall, Manali,Himachal Pradesh. ; Ph/M – 91-1902-252113, 252114, 252152, 252149 ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – steam bath, swimming pool, gym and Kerela Message .
Spring Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : April ; Details: Spring Festival Is Also Called Basantotsava Or Pipal Jatra And Takes Place At Dhalpur Ground Kullu From 28th April To 30th April. This Fair Has Been Declared A State Festival By The Himachal Pradesh Government. As It Marks The Beginning Of The Spring Season (and Also The Tourist Season) In The Valley, It Is Also Known As Spring Festival.
Doongri Forest Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : February ; Details: The Doongri Forest Festival, Which Is Basically Organized By The Women Folks Of This Place, Is Another Major Event Of This Place. Moreover, The Winter Sport Carnival Held In The Mid-February Draws A Good Number Of Tourists From All Over The Country And Abroad
Hadimba Devi Fair ; Venue: Hidimba Devi temple. ; Period : Spring Season ; Details: The Hadimba Devi Fair Is Another Important Event In This Place And A Rather Big Fair Is Organized In The Hadimba Devi Temple Complex. People From In And Around The Countryside Come To Visit This Fair, Which Is Held During The Spring Season When The Valley Is At Its Spectacular And Colorful Best.
Lossar Festival ; Venue: Entire Tribal Belt Of Himachal Pradesh And In The Tibetan Colonies At Manali, Shimla, Dharamshala ; Period : Last Week Of February ; Details: This Festival Is Celebrated In The Entire Tribal Belt Of Himachal Pradesh And In The Tibetan Colonies At Manali, Shimla, Dharamshala, Solan And Baijnath. The Old Buddhist Shrine, Celebrating Padamsambhava’s Marriage With A Local Princess At Rewalser In Mandi District Also Emerges As A Pivotal Attraction For These Religious Celebrations. This Festival Means A Beginning Of A New Year And Is Held In The Last Week Of February. One Can Witness A Chham Dance, Various Mask Dances And Dramas Remniscent Of The Post Buddhist Culture With Traditional Orchestra.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Manali is a major tourist city in India.
- Beware of fake items, especially the marble souvenirs. If you buy from roadside sellers, most likely the items are fake and made of chalk instead of marble. Better to buy from reputable shops even though you have to pay more.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100