Kumarakom, a pristine city of Kerala located on the bank of Vembanad Lake has many beautiful landscapes and scenic surrounding making it a perfect holiday spot. The soil being fertile, the place is full of paddy fields, mangrove forests and coconut groves. With its amazing greenery, Kumarakom is the perfect location for honeymooners looking for peace & solitude. Thousands of migratory birds flock to this area every year, making it an ideal place for bird watchers. This beautiful island has numerous small fishing skiffs throughout the town. Experience the backwaters and rejuvenate your senses with an ayurvedic massage which is popular in the region. Kumarakom experiences a tropical climatic condition. During summers (March to May), the temperature rises up to the level of 38°C. Winters (December to February) are pleasant and temperature goes down to 22°C. Medium rainfall is recorded in monsoons (June to September).
Category : Backwaters, Ayurveda
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 481
Info Website: N.A.
Best Time to Visit: September – March
This leisure town of Kerala is said to have been an old rubber plantation ground which was later developed as a bird sanctuary. As far as history is concerned, Kumarakom does not have too much to talk about. The latest documentation of the city can be dated back to 1878, when George Alfred Baker, got extremely pleased with the serene location and planned to build a home here. Since then, the British have been predominantly settled in Kumarakom.In 1956, Kumatakom was declared to be a part of the freshly formed Kerala.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : The nearest airport to Kumarakom is Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery. Airport is nearly 85 km away from Kumarakom, and Tourist taxi charges about Rs 1600 to cover this distance. Cochin airport is well connected to many major cities in India and abroad, especially connected directly to gulf countries.
By Train : Kottayam is the nearest railway station which is about 16 km away from Kumarakom. Taxi fare from Kottayam to Kumarakam is about Rs 3,500. Kottayam is well connected by rail to all important cities in India.
By BUS : KSRTC buses are plenty from Kottayam to reach Kumarakom. Kotatyam is connected to all cities in Kerala by KSRTC buses. Private deluxe A/C buses connect Kottayam with many cities in South India, including Chennai, Mangalore, Bangalore and Trivandrum.
By Taxi : Taxis and Auto rickshaws are easily available for moving about in the city.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- The Zuri Kumarakom, Kerala Resort and Spa ; New Nazarath Rd, Athikkalam, Kumarakom, Kerala 686563. ; Ph – 0481 252 7272 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Elevators, Laundry, Parking.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Vivanta By Taj Kumarakom ; Address: 1/404, Kumarakom, Kottayam, Kerala 686566. ; Ph – 0481 252 5711 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Elevators, Parking, 24-Hour Security, Banquet facilities.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Kumarakom Lake Resort ; Kumarakom North, Vayitharamattom, Kumarakom, Kerala 686566. ; Ph – 0481 252 4900 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Elevators, Laundry, Parking.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Lakshmi Hotel ; Kumarakom North P.O, Kumarakom- Cumbam Rd, Vayitharamattom, Kumarakom, Kerala 686563. ; Ph – 0481 252 3313 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Elevators, Laundry, Parking, 24-Hour Security, Bus Parking.
- KTDC Restaurant ; Kumarakom- Cumbam Rd, Kavanattinkara, Kumarakom, Kerala 686563. ; M – N.A. ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Ettukettu ; C/O Kumarakom Lake Resort, Kumarakom North, Kumarakom, Kottayam, Kerala, 686566, India. ; M – +91-481-2524900 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Cordon Bleu ; Backwater Ripples, Kumarakom PO, Kottayam, Kumarakom, Kottayam, Kerala, 686563, India. ; M – +91-481-2565404 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Grannery ; Whispering Palms, New Nazarath Road, Kumarakom, Kottayam, Kerala, 686563, India. ; M – +91-481-2523820 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAd
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
Erumeli Petta Thullal ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : January ; Details: Erumeli Petta Thullal is an annual event held in January defined by exuberant festivities organized at the Sri Dharma Sashtha Temple. Apart from the devotees who perform to praise the gods, there are elephants participating in pageants to be seen. Watch out for the musical performances and you may across a Mozart in making.
Onam ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : August ; Details: Onam in August is a grand affair in Kumarakom marked with pompous celebrations and exhilarating boat races. Paddlers in steady action row through the serene backwaters in vigour, inching their snake boats towards the victory. So don’t miss a second of this exciting event if you happen to be there.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Kumarakom is a major tourist city in India.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100