Jodhpur, the second largest city in Rajasthan, combines the best of all the worlds and presents to the tourists some of the most enchanting attractions. Situated on the foothills of a mound, the city is resplendent with magnificent forts, colorful bazaars, stunning lakes and dazzling gardens. The city also boasts of a wildlife sanctuary and the view from the Osian sunset point is simply spectacular. Accessible from almost all the parts of the country, the city has gained immense popularity among foreign travelers. Thanks to the international class heritage hotels and lip smacking cuisines, the destination is flooded by tourists all the year round. Often termed as ‘The Sun City’ the tourists are advised to visit the erstwhile home of Maharaja Man Singh, Mehrangarh Fort. Stay at the royal Umaid Bhawan Palace, shop for the ethnic and traditional handicrafts of the state from the Giridkot and Sadar Bazaar or just enjoy a lazy day on the Kailana Lake, Jodhpur is a living legend wherein tourists can enjoy the Rajputana hospitality and the vivacious culture and local festivals. A desert type climate prevails in Jodhpur.
Category : Heritage
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 291
Info Website: jodhpur.nic.in
Best Time to Visit: October to March
Jodhpur, the golden city of Rajasthan, boasts of a history that goes back to the 1100 C.E, when the city was under the rule of the Gurjara-Pratihara Empire. The city was formally founded by Rao Jodha, a chief in the Rathore Clan of Rajputs, in the year 1459. He named the city and its surrounding area as Marwar. Rao Jodha made Jodhpur his capital, thus making the city an important trading hub of opium, silk, copper, date palms, coffee and sandals. The city came under the rule of Mughals and served as a fief. This was the time when Maharaja Jaswant Singh gained importance as a noteworthy general by the Mughals.During this time, the city also saw its maximum exposure, with Mughal art and architecture mixing styles with the traditional Rajasthani culture. During the year 1679, Aurangzeb confiscated the city. However, his death in 1707 marked the end of Mughal rule in Jodhpur and the city went back into the hands of the rightful Rajputana rulers.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : Jodhpur airport is connected to Jaipur, Delhi, Udaipur and Mumbai by daily regular flights. The Airport is nearly 5 km away from the city center. Taxi charges about Rs 150 and three wheeled rickshaw cost about Rs 50 from airport to city. Jodhpur airport : 0291 251 2934.
By Train : Jodhpur railhead is an important junction in the North Western railway zone in India. Jodhpur is well connected to all major cities in India including Delhi (Rajsthn S Krant), Kolkata (Hwh Ju Express), Chennai (Ms Jodhpur Exp), Mumbai, (Suryanagari Exp), Jaipur (Hwh Ju Express), Jaisalmer (Jsm Dli Express) and Bangalore (Ypr Jodhpur Exp). Jodhpur Railway stataion: 0291-2431646.
By BUS : Rajasthan Road Transport Corporation provides bus services to all cities in Rajasthan from Jodhpur. Private deluxe buses are available from Jaipur (330km), Delhi (569 km), Jaisalmer (290 km), Bikaner (240 km) and Agra (580 km). The deluxe bus charges varies between Rs 3 to Rs 4 per kilometer.
By Taxi : Jodhpur is well connected by a road network and national highways. The tourist can reach to Jodhpur by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Ganesham Guest House ; Sector-4, Defence Lab. Road, Ratanada, Jodhpur. ; Ph – 099 28 410215 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour room service, Laundry, Parking, Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Chhotaram Prajapat Homestay ; Village-salawas, Kumharon ki dhani, Jodhpur . ; Ph – 094 14 720724 ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Laundry, Parking, Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Candy Rajputana By Peppermint ; Panch Batti Circle, Airport Road, Jodhpur 342011. ; Ph – 0291 515 3601 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, Air conditioning, Baby sitting, Conference facilities, Laundry, Parking, Wheel chair access, Non-smoking rooms, 24-Hour Security, Body Treatments, Parking.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- The Gateway Hotel ; Banar Road, Jodhpur 342027. ; Ph – 0291 226 3430 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Baby sitting, Conference facilities, Laundry, Parking, Non-smoking rooms, 24-Hour Security, Cocktail Lounge, Concierge, Lounge, Wedding Services, Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
- Red Chilli Restaurant ; 32, bhev Villas, Near Hotel Inn Season, PWD colony,, Jodhpur, RJ 342001. ; M – 0291 510 3882 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Gypsy Restaurant ; Ada Bazar, Daga Street, Jodhpur, RJ 342001. ; M – 0291 244 5511 ; Food Serve : Multi-Cuisine.
- Juna Mahal Boutique Homestay ; Ada Bazar, Daga Street, Jodhpur, RJ 342001. ; M – 0291 244 5511 ; Food Serve : Indian.
Must Eat FoodAdd
- Sweet – Premium Sweet Shop ; Ada Bazaar, Jodhpur. ; Ph/M – 093 11 505764 ; Cost – N.A. ; Famous for – Mave Ki Kachori, Besan ki Chaaki, Maakhan Vade.
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Handicrafts and fabrics. ; JG Art & Crafts ; Sardar Market Old City ; Ph/M: 0291 2636580.
- Jodhpuri shoes ; Liberty Exclusive Showroom ; Nai Sarak, Jodhpur, RJ 342001 ; Ph/M: 0291 510 5777.
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- Chahat Bar ; Hotel Suncity International, Panchbatti Circle, Airport Road Jodhpur. ; Ph/M: 91-291-2512888 / 2510888 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : N.A.
- Geoffrey’s ; Park Plaza, Jhalamand House, Airport Road, Jodhpur. ; Ph/M: 91-291-5105000 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : N.A.
- 7e Med Spa ; Behind St. Paul’s School, Shastri Nagar, Jodhpur, 342001 ; Ph/M – 91-291-2438051, 91-9352528302. ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Aqua Relaxation, Thai Massage, Slimming Treatment, Therapeutic Yoga.
Rajasthan International Folk Festival ; Venue: Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India ; Period : 17th To 21th October ; Details: Rajasthan International folk festival is about to start from 17th October 2014 in Jodhpur. Being India’s first annual folk festival and celebrating the regional root music and the arts, this festival is organized in order to give open platform to all the folk artist and musicians from India and overseas. Around 150 art performers from Rajasthan, India and outside, gather in the Gigantic and splendid Fort of Mehran Garh for four nights and three days of events under the brightest full moon. Rajasthan International folk festival which is also known as Jodhpur folk festival, begun in year 2007; since then, the Rajasthan International Folk Festival (RIFF) society tries to bring together more than 250 Musicians and performing artists from every nook and corner of the world.
Marwar Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : September-October ; Details: The Marwar festival is held every year in memory of the heroes of Rajasthan. The festival is held in the month of Ashwin (Sep.-Oct.) in Jodhpur, for two days during the full moon of Sharad Poornima. Originally known as the Maand festival, this festival feature folk music centered on the romantic lifestyle of Rajasthan’s rulers. This festival is devoted to the music and dance of the Marwar region and offers a good opportunity to see the folk dancer and singers who assemble here and provide hours of lively entertainment. These folk artistes provide a glimpse of the days of yore, of battles and valiant heroes who still live on in their songs. Other attractions at the festival are the camel tattoo show and polo. The impressive Umaid Bhawan Palace, Mandore and Mehrangarh fort, which are symbols of might and valour, provide the ideal venue for the cultural extravaganza an integral part of the festival.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Jodhpur is a major tourist city in India.
- Ambulance : 102.
- Fire Brigade : 101.
- Police : 100, ( 0291 – 2650777).
7:12 am – Mehrangarh Fort ;Approx. time spent : 4 hrs
12:30 pm – Mandore ;Approx. time spent : 4 hrs
2:30 pm – Ghanta Ghar ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
4:30 pm – Umaid Mahal ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
8:30 am – Jaswant Thada – Mehrangarh ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
11:30 am – Nehru Park ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
2:30 pm – Umaid Bhawan Palace ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
4:30 pm – Guda Bishnoi Village ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
7:12 am – Kaylana Lake ;Approx. time spent : 45 hrs
1:00 pm – Jai Pol ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs
3:00 pm – Loha Pol ;Approx. time spent : 4 hrs
5:30 pm – Machiya Safari Park ;Approx. time spent : 3 hrs