Jaipur, the Pink city of India, is known as a great seat of the Rajput kings since times immemorial. The The Rajput kings were very generous and associated the pink colour with hospitality, thus rendering the city its epithet. Replete with the most splendid forts and palaces, bazaars and eating joints, Jaipur is one of the most popular holiday destinations in the world. The most popular tourist attraction Jaipur is the Hawa Mahal. The city is also claimed to be a shopper’s paradise. Jaipur is also famous for the multihued fairs and festivals that add many hues to the insipid sand. The city is extremely popular for its various heritage palaces that have been converted into hotels. Staying here is an unmatched experience that will give you a taste of the royal ‘khatirdari’. Jaipur is famous for elephant festival held during the March month and for Gangaur fair held during the first week of April. Both are very impressive and many tourists make it a point to visit Jaipur during this season.
Category : Heritage
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 141
Info Website: jaipur.nic.in
Best Time to Visit: October – March
Jaipur dates back to the year 1727 when the city was discovered by the then king, Maharaja Jai Singh II. The king shifted his capital to Jaipur from Amber due to the increase in population and reduction in the water levels. Jaipur prides itself on being the first planned city in the country as Maharaja Jai Singh II was deeply interested in the designing and construction of the city. Since the Marathas were constantly attacking and trying to take a reign over the city, the king was very skeptical about the security of Jaipur. Thus, with the assistance of Vidyadhar Bhattacharya, a Brahmin scholar of Bengal, Maharaja Jai Singh II started the construction of Jaipur in 1727. It took around 4 years to build the entire city and huge buttressing of walls was created to ensure the safety. Constructed on the pattern of Shilpa Shastra, the Indian Architecture, the city of Jaipur was divided in nine blocks wherein there were two state buildings and palaces. The rest of the seven blocks were given for the public use. The city was referred to as ‘pink city’ only in the year 1853, when the whole city was painted pink to welcome the Prince of Wales.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : Sanganer Airport located at Jaipur is nearly 10 km from the heart of the city, and taxi charges about Rs 200 from Airport to the city. Jaipur airport is connected to all metro cities in India through direct flights. It has regular flights to Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Jodhpur and Udaipur. Jaipur International Airport in Sanganer : 0141 255 0623.
By Train : Jaipur railway station is the central rail head of the state of Rajasthan. Jaipur is well connected by many trains to most of the major cities in India. Apart from these trains, a specialty train called “Palace on Wheels” which is covering all tourist destinations in Rajasthan (Alwar, Udaipur, Jaipur, Swami Mdhopur etc) starting from Delhi is also available. Jaipur Railway Station : 0141- 2379115.
By BUS : State buses of Rajasthan Road Transport Corporation connect Jaipur to all cities in Rajasthan. Many deluxe bus services are available between Jaipur and other cities. A/C deluxe bus services are available from Delhi to Jaipur (260 km). It charges about Rs 750 for a person.
By Taxi : Jaipur is well connected by a road network and national highways. The tourist can reach to Jaipur by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Sarovar Portico ; Prince road, Queen’s road, Vaishali Nagar, Jaipur 302021. ; Ph – (0141) 5157777. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Laundry, Parking, 24-Hour Security, Game Room, Health Club, Banquet facilities, Currency exchange, Sweeming pool, Doctor on call.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Ayush International Hotel ; C-52,Sitapura Ind Area, Jaipur. ; Ph – 0141 277 0159. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Laundry,24-Hour Security,Catering Services, Concierge, Wedding Services, Banquet facilities,Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Bharat Mahal Palace ; 16,parivahan marg,Nr Civil Lines C-Scheme, Jaipur 302 001. ; Ph – 0141 236 5498. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Laundry, Parking.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Castle Kanota ; Village Kanota, Agra Road, Jaipur. ; Ph – 91-141-2561291, 2563448. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk,24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Laundry, Parking, Beauty salon, 24-Hour Security, Body Treatments, Catering Services, Game Room, Health Club, Massage Services, Wedding Services, Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
- Spice Court ; Hari Bhawan, Achrol House, Jacob Road, Civil Lines,Jaipur 302006. ; M – 0141 222 0202 ; Food Serve : Indian.
- Niros ; Mirza Ismail Road, Near Panch Batti, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302001 ; M – 0141 237 4493 ; Food Serve : Indian and Chinese.
- Ambrosia ; KJ city tower, Ashok Marg, ; M – 91 141 3153900 ; Food Serve : Italian, indian, continental, mexican and chinese.
Must Eat FoodAdd
- Rajasthani Food. – Chokhi Dhani ; 12 Miles, Tonk Road Via Vatika,Jaipur. ; Ph/M – 0141 516 5000 ; Cost – N.A. ; Famous for – Dal baati and churma, lapsi, Mirchi Vada, Mawa Kachori, Kalakand, Papad Ki Sabzi, Ghewar, Gatte Ki Sabji, Laal Maas, Missi Roti,Batis sunk into pure ghee with Choorma.
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Bandhanii clothes ; World Trade Park ; Mahesh Marg, D-Block, Malviya Nagar,Jaipur, RJ ; Ph/M: 0141 272 4678.
- Jewels, gemstones, ‘Kundan’ jewellery , bangles, blue pottery, Jutis, and textiles. ; Johari Bazar ; Johari Bazar,Jaipur. ; Ph/M: N.A.
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- Amber Fort Sound and Light Show ; Lower Amber Fort Jaipur. ; Ph/M: 91 14 1270 9162 ; Cost: Rs 100 ; Food Serve : N.A.
- Amigos Bar & Discotheque ; Church Road, M. I. Road | Hotel Om Tower, Jaipur 302001, India. ; Ph/M: 91-141-4046666 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : N.A.
- Club Oxygen ; Lane No. 2, Hotel Dodas Palace, Jaipur, India. ; Ph/M: 0141 2620870 ; Cost: N.A. ; Food Serve : N.A.
- New Shine Spa ; Bapu Nagar,Jaipur. ; Ph/M – 097 84 581091 ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Back Massage, Baliness Massage, Bleaching, Body Polish, Body Wrap,Aromatherapy, Ayurvedic Therapy, Fish Therapy, Fruit Therapy.
- Ziva Spa ; C-81 A, C-Scheme, Azad Marg, Jaipur. ; Ph/M – 0141 402 6173 ; Cost: N.A. ; Services – Foot Massage, Facial Massage, Head Massage.
- Orient Spa – Jamdoli, Jaipur ; Cambay Golf Resort, Jaipur Agra Highway, Jamdoli, Jaipur. ; Ph/M – 095 49 656202 ; Cost: 0 ; Services – Ayurveda Therapies, Rejuvenation, Spa Manicure, Spa Pedicure, Sports Massage, Steam Bath, Thai Massage.
Elephant festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : March-April ; Details: On the day of full moon phalgun purnima, the elephant festival is celebrated which includes the Pujan of elephants and amazing activities associated with them like elephants racing, decorating elephants and many more. Elephants have always played an important role in the hindu Myhtology.
Gangaur Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : April ; Details: This festival is mainly for the women and girls who pray for the well bwing and long life for their husbands or future husbands. The festival is celebrated in Chaitra between the month of March and April according to the hindu calender in the name of goddess Parvati and god Shiv.
Kite Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : January 14th ; Details: Maker Sanskrit is celebrate on January 14th of every year, where everyone in Jaipur fly kites in the high sky and enjoy their day with joy and lively feeling. The families meet up together and celebrate this festival together by sharing sweets and flying colorful kites.
Sitla Mata Fair ; Venue: Village seel-ki-dungri of Jaipur, ; Period : March-April ; Details: In the village seel-ki-dungri of Jaipur, this fair is celebrated with great joy and happiness dedicated to the sitla goddess when people in Jaipur take blessing from the almighty and performs many art forms to impress the goddess and fulfill their wishes. This festival is celebrated in the month of march-april. Sitla mata let all the troubles to shoot on her and bless the people for happy life.
Donkey Festival ; Venue: Looniyawas near Sanganer, ; Period : October ; Details: This festival is an interesting moment of joy and happiness where the donkeys are gathered at one place with their pet parents and many types of fair are performed which includes decorating donkey, donkey racing and many more. This festival is one interesting festival that is only celebrated in the region of Jaipur.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Jaipur is a major tourist city in India.
- Beware of fake items, especially the marble souvenirs. If you buy from roadside sellers, most likely the items are fake and made of chalk instead of marble. Better to buy from reputable shops even though you have to pay more.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100
Day-1 9:00 am – Amer Fort ;Approx. time spent : 5 hrs
2:00 pm – Hawa Mahal ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
4:00 pm – Mubarak Mahal ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
5:00 pm – Jal Mahal ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
9:00 am – City Palace ;Approx. time spent : 4 hrs
1:00 pm – Jantar Mantar ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
4:00 pm – Nahargarh Fort ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
5:00 pm – Chand Pol,Ajmeri Gate, Sanganeri Gate ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
6:00 pm – Jaigarh Fort ;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
9:00 am- Sawai Mansingh Stadium ;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
11:00 am – Raj Mandir Cinema;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
1:00 pm – Jamwa Ramgarh;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm – Vidyadhar Garde;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs