India /Goa /Goa /Goa
Goa is famous for its nightlife and festivities. Also, Sun, sand, beaches, churches, carnivals, adventure and shopping are some of the main highlights of this fun filled destination called Goa. Perhaps the most popular tourist places on the international map. Enjoying a prominent place in the list of any traveller, the city marks the perfect mix of colonial traditions with the modern culture. Well connected from all over the world, Goa is a popular shopping destination as well. The city holds the famous flea markets on specific days of the week where tourists can indulge in shopping for a variety of things, bargaining is a must though. Famous for its coast line, Goa is an ideal place to kick back, relax & soak in the sun,sand & sea breeze. Best season to visit this city of sandy beaches is all through year, even the monsoons are beautiful with lush greenery all around.
Category : Beach, Historical.
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 832
Info Website: www.goatourism.gov.in
Best Time to Visit: June to September.
Goa traces its origin right upto the epic of Mahabharata, where the land of Goa has been repeatedly referred as Goparashtra (country of cowherds). The formation of Goa has another amazing legend attached to it wherein it is believed that Lord Parshuram (Sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu) shot seven different arrows in various directions marking the limits of the oceans (Neptune). The sea withdrew from the places wherever the arrows fell. A village called Banauli / Banaulim (arrow village) is often referred to as the place where the arrow struck and surprisingly even the Indologist and geologists marvel at the presence of burned sea shells and marine fossils which date back to 10,000 BC. Later Goa saw glorious years under the Kadamba dynasty however; the fortunes of Goa continued to fluctuate until the Portuguese snatched the land from Adil Shah of Bijapur in 1510 AD. The Portuguese admiral Alfonse de Albuquerque realized the dream of Vasco da Gama of establishing a permanent base / colony in India. The Portuguese constructed many fortresses, churches, monuments and buildings in Goa and have left an indelible mark on the culture of Goa. The Portuguese rule continued even after independence of India as the Portuguese refused to hand over the state. The same was however, forcefully snatched from the Portuguese Garrison after a successful liberation action by the freedom fighters, Indian Navy and Indian Army. Goa was liberated and is now one of the states of independent India.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : The Goa international airport is located at Dabolim, which is at a distance of 29 km away from Panaji. The airport connects the domestic cities as well as international cities in U.K. and Germany. Daily services are also available from Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and other important cities of India.
By Train : The major railway stations in Goa are Margao, also known as Madgaon and Vasco-da-gama. These stations are in the Konkan railway line and are directly connected to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and other parts of the country.
By BUS : Kadamba bus stand of Panaji is the main bus station. The state owned bus services of states Goa, Maharashtra and Karnataka operate from this station. These buses connect cities in Goa to in and out of the state Goa. Super deluxe A/C buses are available from Mumbai (580 km) and from Bangalore (650 km). It will cost around Rs 1500 to 2000.
By Taxi : N.A
By Other : Shipping services from Mumbai to Panaji are available.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- The Orange House ; Mazaiwaddo, Anjuna, Goa 403509 ; Ph – N.A ; Facilities – Travel Desk,Air conditioning, Laundry, Parking
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Per Avel Beach Holiday Home ; Opp. Chapel & Govt. Primary School, Fort Aguada Road, Dando, Candolim, Near Kingfisher Villa, Goa 403516 ; Ph – N.A ; Facilities – Travel Desk,24-hour front desk,Air conditioning,Laundry
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 1201 to Rs. 2500
- Alor Grande Holiday Resort ; Near Health Centre, Candolim, Candolim, GA 403515 ; Ph – 0832 665 1999 ; Facilities – Travel Desk,24-hour front desk,24-hour room service,Air conditioning,Parking,24-Hour Security,Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Majorda Beach Resort ; Majorda, Salcette, GA 403713 ; Ph – 0832 668 1111 ; Facilities – 24-hour room service,Air conditioning,Parking,24-Hour Security,Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
- Ramada Caravela Beach Resort ; Near Varca Beach, Colva Road, Salcette, Goa, 403721 ; M – 0832 669 5000 ; Food Serve : Goan, Indian
- Holiday Inn Resort Goa ; Mobor Beach, Cavelossim, Salcette, Goa,403 731 ; M – 0832 287 0000 ; Food Serve : multi-Cuisine
- Majorda Beach Resort ; Majorda, Salcette, GOA 403713 ; M – 0832 668 1111 ; Food Serve : multi-Cuisine, Goan
Must Eat FoodAdd
- Crab dish – Greek restaurant Thalassa ; Near Nine Bar, Greek Taverna, Ozran Beach, Anjuna, Vagator, Goa – 403509 ; Ph/M – 91 9850033537 ; Cost – N.A ; Famous for – N.A
- Pork and pomelo salad at Bomra’s – Greek restaurant Thalassa ; Near Nine Bar, Greek Taverna, Ozran Beach, Anjuna, Vagator, Goa – 403509 ; Ph/M – 92 9850033537 ; Cost – N.A ; Famous for – N.A
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
- Parasailing ; Majorda Beach, Anjuna Beach, Candolim Beach and Baga Beach. ; Cost – Rs. 500-1250 for 5 minutes ; Visiting Time – All days of the week : 9:00 AM 5:00 PM ; Closed Time : 5:00 PM
- Water Scooter ; Water Scooter available at Dona Paula jetty, Cidade De Goa, Majorda, Oberoi and Candolim beaches ; Cost – Rs. 400, 1000, 1500 for 2, 10, 15 minute trips respectively ; Visiting Time – N.A ; Closed Time : N.A
- Water Skiing ; Beaches like Calangute, Candolim, Arossim, Mobor, Utorda, and Rajbagh ; Cost – Rs. 400-1200 for 15 minutes ; Visiting Time – N.A ; Closed Time : N.A
- Jewellery ; flea market ; Anjuna beach flea market, Goa. ; Ph/M:N.A
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
- A Reverie ; Gaurav wardo, Holiday Street, Calangute, Goa, 403516 ; Ph/M: (+91) 9823505550, (+91) 9823174927 ; Cost: 2800/- ; Food Serve : Teriyaki Boneless Chicken, Desserts Platters, Wasabi Prawns, Prawns, Lobster,Alcohol.
- Club Fresh ; 182/1, Gaudewada, Morjim Beach, Pernem, Goa, 403512 ; Ph/M: (+91) 9619233116, (+91) 9870015007 ; Cost: 1500/- ; Food Serve : Pina Colada, Virgin Mojitos, Wasabi Prawns & Alcohol
- Shalom Med Lounge Bar ; 5/147, Umta Vaddo, Calangute, Goa, 403516 ; Ph/M: (+91) 9960605818, (+91) 832 2277678 ; Cost: 1200/- ; Food Serve : Rubya Mishui, Arabic spices, Char-grilled Chicken Skewers & Alcohol
- Goa Marriott Resort & Spa ; Miramar, Panaji, Goa 403001, Miramar, Panjim, Goa 403001 ; Ph/M – 0832 246 3333 ; Cost: N.A ; Services – Body Massage Centres, Massage Centres For Men, Beauty Spas.
- Park Hyatt Goa Resort and Spa ; Arossim Beach | South Goa, Cansaulim 403712. ; Ph/M – 0832 272 1234 ; Cost: 3750, 4,500,4,500, 3,750 ; Services – “Choorna Swedam Massage,Absolute Pearl Facial ,Active Pureness Rebalancing Facial,Amirtham Facial .
- Quan Spa ; PO Box No. 64, Goa Marriott Resort, Panjim, North Goa ; Ph/M – 8322463330 ; Cost: N.A ; Services – Foot Massage, Back Massage, Facial Massage, Aroma Massage, Ayurvedic Massage, Head Massage, Full Body Massage.Ayurvedic Treatments, Body Scrub, Body Wrap, Couple’s Massage, Facials, etc
Shigmo Festival ; Venue: Goa ; Period : March ; Details: “Shigmo is a spring festival held around March each year and is one of the major festivals of the Hindu community in Goa. It is celebrated in a way similar to the Indian festival of Holi with colours and revelry. The festival is marked by parades consisting of traditional folk and street dancers and elaborately built floats depicting scenes from regional mythology and religious scenes.
Sao Joao In Goa ; Venue: Goa ; Period : June 24th ; Details: Sao Joao feast of St John the Baptist on June 24th is celebrated by young men all over Goa by jumping into wells to retrieve gifts thrown in by villagers.The festival takes place at the beginning of the monsoon season in Goa with people of all ages jumping into wells, streams and ponds. This generally after getting into the spirit of things by imbibing Goa’s famous liquor feni. San Joao, like any other Goan feast, has that captivating spirit of merriment, colour and tradition..
Carnival In Goa ; Venue: all over Goa ; Period : February ; Details: This carnival One of the most colorful and popular festival of Goa is the Goa Carnival. This three day extravaganza takes place in the month of February. The highlight of the carnival is the joyous singing, dancing and feasting before the tough abstinence period of 40 days of Lent before Easter. Multi-cultural parades are held and people belonging to different communities and areas prepare their floats with different representations and themes. Mornings see a lot of singing, feasting and street plays while the evenings are usually reserved for the wild dancing and partying all over the streets.
Feast of Three Kings ; Venue: Old Goa ; Period : Every year, for 9 days in January ; Details: The Feast of Three Kings is celebrated at Old Goa in Panjim in honour of the Three Kings of Magi who came with gifts for infant Jesus Christ. It is said that a big rock on a nearby hill has two sets of footprints; one of an infant and one of an adult. According to legend, Virgin Mary and the infant rested here while their horse quenched its thirst. Every year, for 9 days in January, a long procession trudges up the hill to the holy chapel marked by vivid celebrations and merry making. A carnival like atmosphere is created and a fair is organized. There is elaborate feasting all around.
Monte Music Festival ; Venue: Mahatma Gandhi circle at Old Goa. ; Period : N.A ; Details: This music festival, started just few years ago, celebrates the coming together of western and Indian classical music. The venue for the festival is the centuries old newly renovated chapel on the hill at Old Goa, the Capela da Nossa Senhora do Monte (Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount). This chapel perched at the very top of a hill in Old Goa is a must-see place during the festival, where one can enjoy a truly spectacular panoramic view of large areas of North Goa. Sread over four days, this festival provides a platform to a number of artists–local, national and international to display their talents before an appreciative audience. There are buses that take you up the steep slope to the venue from the Mahatma Gandhi circle at Old Goa.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets.
- Don’t flash jewelry or large sums of money.
- Avoid false saller, they may sale you fake items.
- Be aware of travel warnings. Some areas are considered unsafe for foreigners.
- Never accept a ride if there’s someone accompanying the driver in a taxi or rickshaw.
- Keep a copy of your passport/visa separate from the original.
- Goa Helpline : 100 / 2412121
- Fire : 101
- Ambulance : 102
9:00 am Abyss Marine Aquarium;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
11:00 am Amthane Dam;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
1:00 pm Arambol Beach;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm Budbudyanchi Tali;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm Arvalam Waterfalls;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
6:00 pm Agonda Beach;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
9:00 am Banastari Bridge;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
11:00 am Fort Cabo da Rama;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
1:00 pm Carambolim Lake;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm Ashwem Beach;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm Chapoli Dam;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
6:00 pm Aguada Beach;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
9:00 am Anjunem Dam;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
11:00 am Baga Beach;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
1:00 pm Devil’s Canyon;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
3:00 pm Divar Island;Approx. time spent : 2 hrs
5:00 pm Dudhsagar Waterfall;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs
6:00 pm Anjuna Beach;Approx. time spent : 1 hrs