Alappuzha, also known as Alleppey is often called as “Venice of east” because of its numerous waterways. Alappuzha, a slice of Venice in Kerala, is one of the most popular places to enjoy a magnificent stay on a houseboat. The town is known for its backwater lagoons that is lined with beautiful tropical villages. Tourists can look forward to enjoy this idyllic retreat amidst the emerald green waters, palm fringed shores and lush acres of greenery. Hop on the houseboat and enjoy a foray into the backwaters. Come in August when the famous Nehru Boat Race is held with great vigour and excitement. Besides enjoying a laid back day on the houseboats that offer best of Kerala food, tourists can stop at the small hamlets and enjoy shopping for the locally made coir products and carpets. Alappuzha experiences moderate climate throughout the year.
Category : Beaches
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 477
Info Website: alappuzha.nic.in
Best Time to Visit: September-March
Alappuzha is a Land Mark between the broad Arabian sea and a net work of rivers flowing into it. In the early first decade of the 20th Century the then Viceroy of the Indian Empire, Lord Curzon made a visit in the State to Alappuzha, now Alappuzha. Fascinated by the Scenic beauty of the place, in joy and amazement, he said, “Here nature has spent up on the land her richest bounties”. In his exhilaration, it is said, he exclaimed, “Alappuzha, the Venice of the East”.Alappuzha has a wonderful past. Though the present town owes its existence to the sagacious Diwan Rajakesavadas in the second half of 18th century, district of Alappuzha figures in classified Literature. Kuttanad, the rice bowl of Kerala with the unending stretch of paddy fields, small streams and canals with lush green coconut palms , was well known even from the early periods of the Sangam age. History says Alappuzha had trade relations with ancient Greece and Rome in B.C and in the Middle Ages.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : There is no airports in Alappuzha. Trivandrum International Airport and Cochin International Airport are the nearest airport. The taxis at a rate of about Rs 15 per kilometer can be hired for Trivandrum (151 km) / Cochin (75 km). Trivandrum and Cochin are connected to most of the major cities in India and have connected flights to many foreign cities, mainly to Kuwait, Dubai and UAE. Trivandrum International Airport: 0471 250 0283.
By Train : Alappuzha is a well connected by railways to most cities of India. Trains are available on a daily basis to major cities such as Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore etc. It is an average of 12 hours from Bangalore and Chennai and 36 hours from Mumbai.
By BUS : KSRTC buses are plenty which are connecting all the major cities in Kerala. Trivandrum to Alappuzha costs less than Rs 100 and Cochin to Alappuzha costs less than Rs 50.
By Taxi : Alappuzha is well connected by a road network and national highways. The tourist can reach to Alappuzha by taxi. The normal Indian taxi charges of Rupees 8 to 20 will be charged for each km.
By Other : N.A.
Budget – Up to Rs. 800
- Cosy Regency ; Umbukkadu Building, Finishing Point, Thathampally P.O, Alappuzha . ; Ph – 098 47 102160 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Alappuzha Prince Hotel ; A.S. Road,N H-Post Box no.2613, Alappuzha 688007. ; Ph – 0477 224 3752 – 224 3757. ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service, Air conditioning, Conference facilities, Elevators, Laundry, Parking, 24-Hour Security, Lounge, Shopping Arcade, Doctor on call.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Akkarakalam Memoirs ; Akkarakalam, Chennamkary P.O. Alappuzha, Alappuzha 688501. ; Ph – 0477 276 2345 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, Air conditioning, Laundry, Parking, 24-Hour Security, Body Treatments, Massage Services,Doctor on call.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Abad Turtle Beach ; Abad Turtle Beach Varankavala, Pollathai P.O, Mararikulam, Alappuzha, Alappuzha 688567. ; Ph – 0478 2186966,2186968 ; Facilities – Travel Desk, 24-hour front desk, 24-hour room service,Conference facilities, Parking, 24-Hour Security,Body Treatments,Catering Services, Massage Services,Wedding Services, Laundry/Valet Services, Lounge, Massage Services, Lounge, Massage Services, Outlet Adapters, Steam Bath, Valet Parking, Water Sports, Banquet facilities, Doctor on call.
- Mushroom Restaurant; Near To South Police Station, Vellakinar Junction, Alappuzha Iron Bridge, Alappuzha – 688011. ; M – 9895122245 ; Food Serve : Indian,Chinese.
- Dreamer Cafe and Restaurant ; Alappuzha Ho, Alappuzha – 688001. ; M – (0477) 2263586 ; Food Serve : Kerala, North Indian.
- Thaff Family Restaurant ; General Hospital Junction, Alappuzha Ho, Alappuzha – 688001. ; M – (0477) 2238983 ; Food Serve : pizzas, sundaes, cakes, Chinese, North Indian and South Indian.
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
Nehru Cup Snake Boat Race ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : August/September ; Details: Nehru Cup Snake Boat Race is celebrated during Onam, which is the harvest festival celebrated in August/September. Many long snake boats and other smaller crafts participate in these events. The largest team sport in the world, the snake boat races are preceded by colorful water parades. Usually a snake boat is manned by four helmsmen, 25 singers and 100 – 125 oarsmen who row in line to the fast rhythm of the vanchipattu (song of the boatman). The electrifying races by carved wooden boats set the backwaters on high demand. The ‘Nehru Boat Race’ named in honor of the late Prime Minister of India, Pundit Jawaharlal Nehru, is the most exciting of all the boat-races. It is held on the second saturday of August. During the ‘Onam’ festival, many boat-races including the spectacular Aranmula boat-race, are conducted in the Alappuzha region.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Alappuzha is a major tourist city in India.
- Don’t flash jewelry or large sums of money.
- Avoid false saller, they may sale you fake items.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100