Bomdila is a town that is located in the state of Arunachal Pradesh in a district called West Kameng. There are many interesting options for entertainment in this place and it is a popular tourist location in the region. There are many temples that are located in the town and these can be visited while travelling to the region. These include both Buddhist and Hindu temples. One can a witness a breathtaking view of the Himalayan peaks and the clean mountain air serves to rejuvenate the body and mind. The town has many apple orchards and these are worth the visit as well. The town is famous for its arts and crafts and these can be seen in stalls all around the town. These can be purchased as souvenirs. One can get a feel of Buddhist life in the town center where many activities take place. Bomdila is also known as a paradise for trekking and hiking. There are many such locations around the town and this is one of the main tourist attractions here. The Eagle Nest Wildlife Sanctuary is also worth visiting and it is located a short distance away. A village called Tawang which is near Bomdila is home to a 400 year old monastery. The town of Bomdila has an alpine climate and the conditions are pleasant for many months. Summers are especially mild and this is the peak tourist season.
Category : Hill Station
Time Zone: UTC + 5:30 Hours
STD Code: 0378x
Info Website: arunachalpradesh.gov.in
Best Time to Visit: Throughout the year
There are very few recorded facts about the history of Bomdila. However is is known that Bomdila was once a part of the kingdom of Tibet in the medieval times. Local tribal rulers and rulers from Bhutan generally ruled it from over various durations. The Ahom rulers of Assam did not interfere with the local tribes. The British had declared this area of Arunachal Pradesh as an area off limits in 1873. The area has remained a point of disagreement between India and China since India gained independence in 1947.China had invaded the area around Bomdila in 1962, but later however withdrew her troops from the area.
Places to VisitAdd
How to ReachEdit
By Air : The town of Tezpur has an airport that is connected by three weekly flights to Kolkata. Taxis are available at the airport.
By Train : The nearest railway station is located at the town of Tezpur. The place is linked to a few places. However the trains are not frequent and this may not be a good option. Taxis are available at the railway station.
By BUS : The closest bus terminus is also at Tezpur and one can reach the place from Guwahati and Kolkata. Buses are cheap and the prices vary according to the operator.
By Taxi : N.A.
By Other : N.A.
Economy – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Tsepal Yongjam ; Near Himalayan Holidays, Main Bazarline Bomdil. ; Ph – N.A. ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk and security, 24 hours generator back up,24 hours room service.
Deluxe – Up to Rs. 801 to Rs. 1200
- Hotel Siphiyang Phong ; West Kameng District,Arunachal Pradesh, Bomdila – 790001 (INDIA) ; Ph – 91 – 3782 – 223676 ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk and security, 24 hours generator back up,24 hours room service, Multilingual staff, Laundry & Ironing service,Doctor on call, Business services, Meeting rooms.
Luxury – Rs. 2501 and above
- Hotel Tsepal Yangjom ; Near Himalayan Holidays, Main Bazarline Bomdila District-West Kameng Arunachal Pradesh, India. ; Ph – 91-09436241432 ; Facilities – 24-hour front desk and security, 24 hours generator back up,24 hours room service, Multilingual staff, Laundry & Ironing service,Doctor on call.
- Sikkim Restaurant ; Main Market, Bomdila. ; M – N.A. ; Food Serve : Indian.
- Tsepal Yongjam ; Main Market, Bomdila. ; M – N.A. ; Food Serve : Indian, Chinese and continental
Must Eat FoodAdd
Must Do ActivitiesAdd
Nightlife (Pub / Disc / BAR)Add
Losar Festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : February ; Details: This festival is celebrated during in the month of February. People celebrated it by offering prayers, hoisting religious flags, lighting butter lamps and reading Buddhist scriptures. It is the celebration of the Monpas and is considered an important festival in Bomdila.
Nechidow festival ; Venue: N.A. ; Period : January ; Details: It is the major festival of the city for the Aka tribe. It is celebrated for four days in January. The native people perform various rituals and prayers during this festival. Traditional songs and dances are the main attractions during this festival.
Safety / WarningEdit
- Beware of pickpockets as Bomdila is a major tourist city in India.
- Ambulance : 102
- Fire Brigade : 101
- Police : 100